Friday, August 05, 2005

salon

Yesterday I was writing about how important it is to include other people in your learning. Often the advice I give others is also advice I need to take myself. I spend most days scouring the web, interviewing a couple of people on the phone, writing from my notes, and reading into the early hours of the morning. I want to talk with dozens more. I'd like to take advantage of that magical interaction that takes place when three or four people play off one another's ideas. Time to rethink my process.

SALON. from the web...

Eighteenth- and Nineteenth-Century Parisian Salons

The tradition of literary gatherings began in Renaissance France and Italy, but it was in eighteenth-century Paris that the salon gained prominence for lively intellectual conversation in the fields of arts and letters.

Salon conversation was characterized by a blend of wit and oral brilliance.

Gertrude Stein held Saturday evening gatherings at 27, rue du Fleurus, the home she shared with Alice B. Toklas. Her guest list was a who's who of artists and writers living in Paris during the early part of the twentieth century: Picasso, Matisse, Apollinaire, Hemingway, and Sherwood Anderson are only a few of the notables who came by to look at her famous art collection and to talk about the direction of Modernism.

Since the people I want to invite to my salon are spread all over the world, our meetings will float around in cyberspace.

Marc's up for Tuesday afternoon his time. Ted? Lee? Nancy?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Archives